GOVERNOR’S STATEMENT ON GUIDELINES TO BE OBSERVED WITHIN NANDI COUNTY FOLLOWING THE GLOBAL OUTBREAK OF COVID-19 (CORONA VIRUS)
FOLLOWING THE GLOBAL OUTBREAK of COVID-19, subsequent confirmation of the first three cases in Kenya by the Ministry of Health;
IN LINE WITH the guidelines and advisories issued by the Ministry of Health, and H.E the President’s address to the nation yesterday, 15th March, 2020 regarding the Corona Virus;
WHEREAS the County Government of Nandi has been monitoring the unfolding of events with the aim of taking appropriate measures, and is in constant communication with Ministry of Health to ensure standardized approach towards prevention of the Corona Virus and mitigation of its effects;
IN EXERCISE of the powers conferred by the Part 2 of the Fourth Schedule to the Constitution, and Sections 30 and 31 of the County Governments Act and other enabling laws;
NOW THEREFORE, I STEPHEN Araap SANG, Governor of Nandi County hereby instruct and order that the following complementary measures be taken and strictly adhered to within Nandi County effective immediately:
1. That all athletics training camps are hereby closed, and foreign athletes coming to train in Nandi are suspended until further notice.
2. The Department of Transport and Infrastructure and the Kapsabet Municipality Management are hereby directed to designate more matatu stages, pick up and drop off points and bus stops to avoid congestion and crowding.
3. Hawking of food and fruits outside the designated markets is hereby banned until further notice.
4. Schools are directed to liaise with the SACCOS to pick students from school gates to avoid crowding at bus parks and matatu stages.
5. Visits by members of the public to the County Government offices is suspended for the next 30 days. The public is advised to use our toll-free number 1548 to access government services.
6. All trainings and conferences as well as local trips are hereby suspended with the exception of health workers’ trainings on COVID-19, until further notice.
7. Shaking of hands, hugging and non-essential social contact are highly discouraged until advised otherwise. Always maintain a 3-meter distance from the next person.
8. It is hereby strongly advised that every resident wash their hands with soap and running water regularly.
9. Boda Boda riders are prohibited from carrying more than one pillion (passenger).
10. Every matatu SACCO is hereby directed to provide hand washing points with soap, and ensure compliance to CDC and Ministry of Health Guidelines.
11. Members of the public are hereby directed to identify and report people who have recently travelled from foreign countries to the authorities.
12. Families are encouraged to postpone weddings for the next 30 days.
13. All open-air markets are hereby closed for 30 days.
14. All public and privately sponsored extra-curricular sports activities, tournaments, group trainings are suspended and all gyms within the county are hereby ordered closed.
15. Hotels and guest houses are directed to file and submit to the Department of Health information relating to visitors from outside the country seeking accommodation in their facilities.
16. The County Emergency Response Committee that I have already constituted will continue to monitor the situation with a view to advising on the County’s preparedness, prevention and coordination of response to the threat of COVID-19.
17. That we have set up a countywide committee that brings together National Government officers, religious and civic leaders for wider response to the threat. The Committee is directed to remain vigilant and closely monitor happenings.
18. That the Department of Health will ensure that the personal protective equipment (PPE’s) for first-line healthcare responders that we have already procured are readily available. Some more PPE’s will be delivered in due course.
19. That the County has set aside two isolation centers, one in Nandi Hills County Hospital and another in the Kapsabet County Referral Hospital.
20. That the training of key staff that is on-going in conjunction with Ministry of Health be expedited.
21. That the community health outreach strategy that is on-going is hereby directed to focus more on media and door-to-door approaches due to the banning of public gatherings.
22. That two ambulances have been exclusively set aside for COVID – 19 emergency response evacuation. The Department of Health is directed to avail more ambulances where necessary.
23. That the monitoring and evaluation team that has been set up is hereby tasked with ensuring public and private institutions including government offices, hotels, restaurants and places of worship to strictly observe the recommended hygiene guidelines and sanitation practices which include providing soap and running water for handwashing.
24. That all night clubs shall remain closed until further notice.
25. That I have directed the County Secretary and the Department of Public Service to issue a circular on modalities to maintain skeleton staff, while others be allowed to work from home and in the field for the next 30 days with the exception of those in departments offering essential services such as Health Services, Finance and Administration.
26. All ECDE centers and Vocational Training Centers shall remain closed from today 16th March, 2020 until further notice as directed by the President.
27. Visits to inpatients in hospitals by family members is banned, whenever necessary it shall be restricted to only a caretaker.
28. I direct all the Departments to free and avail their vehicles to the Department of Health and Administration, to be stationed at the Sub County Headquarters, for exclusive use in the monitoring and response to the COVID-19 situation.
AS AN ASSURANCE to the citizens of this county, the County Government of Nandi through its health facilities has put in place critical Infection Prevention and Control (IPC) mechanisms in partnership with Family Health International 360 (FHI 360) through our partnership that began two years ago.
As indicated earlier, the County Executive Committee Member for Health shall remain the singular official focal person for communicating County Government information on COVID-19. Members of the public are advised to desist from sharing untrue, misleading information regarding the situation.
As I conclude, I wish to state that this pandemic will be stopped at the community level. I therefore urge all of you to observe the preventive measures that are being communicated by the Ministry of Health from time to time and make use of our TOLL-FREE COUNTY EMERGENCY NUMBER 1548, to report any suspected cases and for more information.
H.E STEPHEN SANG
GOVERNOR NANDI COUNTY