SUGAR SECTOR HIGH LEVEL MEETING HELD IN KISUMU COUNTY
The Sugar Industry High Level Consultative Meeting was today held at the Grand Royal Swiss Hotel, Kisumu to deliberate on matters affecting sugar industry. Participants at the meeting included H.E Rt. Hon. Raila Odinga, Agriculture CS Mwangi Kiunjuri, H.E Stephen Sang Governor Nandi, H.E Wycliffe Oparanya, H.E Okoth Obado, Governor Migori, Ps. Prof. Hamadi Boga, Nandi County Assembly Speaker Joshua Kiptoo, Agriculture CEC Dr. Kiplimo Lagat, Chemelil Chemase Ward MCA Hon. Hillary Serem, Senators, Members of Parliament, MCA’s, Privatization Commission and other leaders from the sugarcane growing areas. The following were resolved;
1. THAT in view of the urgent need to revitalize the public mills and the industry at large, the Privatization Commission identifies strategic partners in the next 120 days ;
2. THAT County Government represent the interests of farmers in matters of Privatization;
3. THAT a special Committee be set up by the Ministry of Agriculture Livestock Fisheries and Irrigation to come up with a revival strategy for the revitalization of Mumias Sugar Company.
4. THAT the Sugar Industry Taskforce to complete it’s work within the next 14 days.
5. THAT the remaining 808 million owed to farmers be captured in the supplementary budget.
6. THAT the Ministry of Agriculture , Livestock, Fisheries and Irrigation to provide leadership in bringing together the relevant government departments and agencies to address the financial requirements of the Public Sugar Companies , particularly debt write off.
7. THAT the Sugar Act be reinstated to provide for independent sugar regulatory body and sugar resource body ;
8. That the Sugar Regulations be gazetted to provide a conducive business environment for the sugar sector.