Governor Stephen Sang is the current Governor of Nandi County, serving his first term following the August 8th 2017 general election.He previously served as the county’s representative to the Senate.
An advocate of the high court and a holder of a Bachelors of Law degree from the University of Nairobi, Sang is a legal expert with interest and experience in governance, democracy and devolution. He is the current chair of the Intergovernmental Relations Committee at the Council of Governors.
Governor Sang is among Kenya’s youngest politicians with an admirable leadership track record.
While at the senate, he served as the chairperson of the Sessional Committee on Delegated Legislation, was the Vice Chairperson of the Committee on Legal Affairs and Human Rights and a representative of Kenyan Parliament in the Inter Parliamentary Union (IPU).
His legislative record speaks for itself having sponsored a record six bills during a single parliamentary term.
Governor Sang is a firm believer and a champion of transitional justice, a leader who is passionate about addressing historical injustices in the county as well as the rest of the country.
His key agenda as a governor is driven by the desire to transform lives and to provide a platform for every resident to contribute towards the full realization of the great Nandi dream.
His focus is on improving healthcare and providing access to universal healthcare, maintaining good road network in the county’s rural areas for easy access to markets and destinations within Nandi and beyond, improving agricultural productivity and increasing commercialisation of agriculture through value addition,improving education standards, providing affordable housing and accelerating economic growth by putting up industries in the county.
Sang has remained open to noble ideas that will propel the beautiful county of Nandi to the next level by ensuring the successful implementation of the Transformational agenda.
For Governor Sang, the transformation of Nandi County from a region of immense potential to that of abundance remains his ultimate legacy.
TALKING NOTES FOR GOVERNOR STEPHEN SANG, DURING THE OFFICIAL SIGNING OF THE PERFORMANCE CONTRACTS FOR COUNTY EXECUTIVE COMMITTEE MEMBERS AND CHIEF OFFICERS, AND THE INAUGURATION OF THE KAPSABET MUNICIPAL BAORD ON 12TH NOVEMEBER, 2018, COUNTY HEADQUARTERS, KAPSABET.
Today, we are signing Performance Contracts with the County Executive Committee Members and their respective Chief Officers.
As you are aware, Performance Management is legislated for in the County Government Act, as follows: Section 47 – Performance Management Plan that gives powers to the County Executive Committee to design a performance management plan to evaluate performance of the county public service and implementation of county policies;
Effective performance management is fundamental to the delivery of high quality services. Whilst the County Integrated Development Plan (CIDP) provides the framework for strategic decision-making and resource allocation, performance management ensures the effective implementation of the strategic objectives, projects, programmes and key initiatives set out in the CIDP.
Therefore, through the PC’s signed today, we now have a mechanism to monitor, review and improve the implementation of the CIDP and to track the progress made.
- Ensuring increased accountability between my Government and the Citizens of Nandi in delivery of services;
- Improving service delivery by providing early warning signals with regard to risk or under-performance and allows for timely corrective measures;
- Facilitating decision-making: that allows for efficient, effective and informed decision-making, particularly on the allocation of resources.
Performance Contracting will be cascaded as follows:-
The County Executive Committee Members (CECM) will sign Performance with their respective Chief Officers.
The objective is to ensure that ALL flagship projects within the Departments are implemented within stipulated time periods. The CECM therefore commit to oversee all processes related to delivery of such projects and their chief Officers will ensure commitment of funds and prudent expenditure of those resources while at the same time upholding quality of work done.
The Third and final Level of Performance Contracting will be between the Chief Officers and their respective Directors who give technical support to the department and ensures all planned activities of the year are fully implemented in accordance with the approved work plan.
All other employees will be put on Performance Appraisal System (PAS) and end year evaluations on their performance will be done.
INAUGURATION OF THE KAPSABET MUNICIPALITY BOARD
As you are aware; Section 9 of the Urban Areas and Cities Act, 2011, empowers me as the Governor, on the resolution of the County Assembly, to confer on a qualifying town, the status of a Municipality by grant of a charter.
I am glad that the County Assembly of Nandi approved the motion for conferment of the status of the Municipality on Kapsabet town. This paved way for the grant of the Charter, which was done on the 24th of September, 2018.
Nandi County met the minimum conditions set, and thus has qualified for the Urban Institutional Grant and Urban Development Grant under the Kenya Urban Support Program.
The ‘Nandi County Municipal Charter’ has been gazetted, meaning there are great expectations geared towards transforming the urban areas through proper Urban Planning and Management.
These are the key enablers in achieving quality and affordable housing as a pillar in the Big Four Agenda. This means all efforts by the County Government of Nandi are in place for this achievement.
The conferment of Kapsabet Town as a Municipality will thus achieve various objectives that include:
- Promotion, regulation and provision of refuse collection and solid Waste Management Services
- Promotion and Provision of water and sanitation services and infrastructure (in areas within the Municipality not served by a water and sanitation providers)
- Construction and maintenance of urban roads and associated infrastructure
- Construction and maintenance of storm drainage and flood controls
- Construction and maintenance of walkways and other non-motorized transport infrastructure
- Construction and maintenance of recreational parks and green spaces
- Construction and maintenance of street lighting
- Construction, maintenance and regulation of traffic controls and parking facilities
- Construction and maintenance of bus stands and taxi stands
- Regulation of outdoor advertising and ensuring that the County Government of Nandi is provided with guidance and capacity building to enable it establish and operate Urban Management Institutions for its urban areas.
- Construction and maintenance of a fire station, firefighting services, emergency preparedness and disaster management among others.
Consequently, the inauguration of the Kapsabet Municipality Board Members means that residents will now start receiving better services. They will oversee the running of affairs of the municipality and towns in general.
Kapsabet Municipality boundary shall cover locations of Kaptildil, Chepterit, Chemundu, Kamobo, Kiminda, Kipture, Kipsigak and Kabirsang.
May I now congratulate the following who have been appointed to serve as Members of the Kapsabet Municipal Board. They bring on board various competencies, which I believe will transform delivery of quality service to Nandi residents.
- Dr. Charles Lagat
- Mrs Emily Sigot
- Mr. Donald Kibet Koros (Representing Persons Living with Disabilities)
- Ms. Janet Jeruto (Representing the Youth)
- Mr. Kasmir Sang (Representing the Informal Sector/Kiosk Operators Association)
- Ms. Aileen J. Laitobir (Representing the Local Urban Forum-Nandi)
- Ms. Ruth Cherotich Koech (Representing the Neighborhood Association/Kapsabet Land Owners Association)
- Mr. Geoffrey Kiprotich Koros (Representing Professional Associations)
- Mr. David Kiptoo Busienei (Representing the Private Sector/Chamber of Commerce)
- David Kimutai Sum
Congratulations and I wish you the very best as you seek to deliver your mandate as the inaugural Kapsabet Municipality Board.
Thank you, God Bless Nandi.
HON. STEPHEN K. ARAAP SANG
GOVERNOR, NANDI COUNTY